[wp-hackers] get_posts with both a custom post_type and custom taxonomy

Leo germani leogermani at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 23:27:45 UTC 2009

Hi Aaron,

I often have the same problem when I want a custom query. Thing is some
arguments overwrite the others in this function, and your resulting query is
selecting posts with post type = post.

My workaround is to use the query_posts hook to strip out this condition
from the resulting sql whenever I want.

This is an area where Im not sure wether its a bug or an expected behavior.
But I think if you pass the post_type paramater it should respect it no
matter what other paramaters are passed... Any one agree we could open a
ticket for that? To not let other paramaters overwrite the post_type
paramater?

Leo,,

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 5:35 PM, Aaron Jorbin <aaron.jorbin at gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm having an issue with get_posts and using a custom post_type and
> custom taxonomy.  It seems to always return empty.  If I do
> `
> $args = array('post_type' => 'my_post_type', 'foo' => 'bar');
> $my_posts = get_posts ($args);
> `
> foo is registered as a registered taxonomy that has query_var set to true.
> If I do a custom query for the following, it returns exactly what I
> would expect.
>
> `
> $sql = "SELECT * from $wpdb->posts
>        LEFT JOIN $wpdb->term_relationships ON
> $wpdb->term_relationships.object_id = $wpdb->posts.id
>        WHERE `$wpdb->posts`.`post_type` = 'my_post_type'
>        AND `$wpdb->term_relationships`.`term_taxonomy_id` = $my_term_id
>        ";
>
> `
>
> Is there an additional step that I am missing?  I opened up a trac
> ticket at http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/10934 but haven't
> heard any responses there, so perhaps this isn't an actual bug.  Any
> help that you can lead would be greatly appreciated.
>
> -Aaron Jorbin
>
> --
> aaron.jorbin at gmail.com
> http://aaron.jorb.in