[wp-hackers] get_post() not fetching from post cache after update_post_caches()

William Canino william.canino at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 4 18:04:52 UTC 2009

Hello all,

Regarding

> $my_query = new WP_Query(array('post__in' => array([very long array of post IDs])));
> update_post_caches($my_query->posts);
> echo $get_permalink(1);
> echo $get_the_title(2);
>
> Do you know why WordPress is still making SQL
> queries on lines 3 and 4? Shouldn't they be already in
> the object cache?

I found the answer ... and subsequently found an irregularity in the
WordPress core.  I don't know if I should call it a bug.

get_posts is automatically adding "LIMIT 0, 6" to the SQL statement. 6
is the number of posts per page set in the blog's Reading settings.
That's why posts 1 and 2 are not in the object cache.  Furthermore,
adding either of the following

'numberposts' => -1  // as per Codex
'nopaging' => true // as per Codex

to the call, such as, $my_query = new WP_Query(array('post__in' =>
[very long array of post IDs], 'nopaging' => true)); makes no
difference.

I opened WordPress's query.php and examined it, and found what I had to use:

new WP_Query(array('post__in' => [very long array of post IDs],
'posts_per_page' => 100000));

or some high number.  This is the solution.

Moral of the Story: If one uses WP_Query for one's ends, he must set
all the parameters he needs so that the custom WP_Query doesn't use
the blog's settings.

Is this an irregularity or is this a bug?