[wp-hackers] This was painful to read...

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Mon Nov 30 02:06:38 UTC 2009

On Nov 28, 2009, at 3:00 PM, Mike Schinkel wrote:

> On Nov 28, 2009, at 3:24 PM, Stephen Rider wrote:
>> It would be cool, for example, to make edit pages modular and abstracted, so Plugins could readily make custom edit pages for Post Types by adding in edit sections -- almost like widgets.  For Post Type X I need the Text box, Parent, Categories, and nothing else.  Boom. Done.

[...]
> That sounds like an extremely good plan.
>
> What's more, I'd really like to see the artificial distinction between Posts and Pages minimized, i.e. Currently Posts can have tags and categories, but not Pages while Pages can be part of a menu but not Posts. etc.  It would be nice to have each of these features decoupled and allowed to be assigned in the admin.

I actually have no problem with the way it is, as it's designed to work well, by default, for the way most people do blogs.  That's fine.

The point is that plugins should be able to easily add such things to Pages (for example).  I currently use a (tiny) plugin that adds the Description field to Edit Pages.

> The default configure would be to have Posts and Pages the way they are now but if I wanted to add tagging to Pages then it would be great if I could just add it.

No distinct need for it to be in core if it can readily be done with a plugin.  Let's leave the default as is, and make it *easy* for plugins to do all this as needed.

Regards,

Stephen

--
Stephen Rider