[wp-hackers] Putting post into /blog/

Dion Hulse (dd32) wordpress at dd32.id.au
Sun Nov 29 00:47:11 UTC 2009

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 11:32:07 +1100, Mike Schinkel
<mikeschinkel at newclarity.net> wrote:
> 1.) Create a "Page" called "Blog", give it a URL slug of "blog"
> 2.) In Settings/Reading set Front Page Display to "A static page" and
> set the Posts page to the "Blog" page
> 3.) In Settings/Permalinks set to these (or similar):
>
> 	Posts      => /blog/%year%/%monthnum%/%postname%/
> 	Categories => blog/categories
> 	Tags       => blog/tags

Just remember that setting Categories and Tags is optional, Its
auomatically done, UNLESS you change the stubs to a custom value. ie.
blogs/section

> What threw me was that 1.) Matt didn't suggest this solution
Its pretty hard for Matt to know -everything- about WordPress, While he
may've started it, and still overlooks, Its easy to forget some of the
many functions - I think the static posts page has been around for awhile
though.. Its one of those little used features.

> I'm pretty sure it wasn't always there in version 2.x, right?

Nope, Looks like it was introduced 4 years ago in 2.1, Oh how time flies:
http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2515

I dont think the UI has even been touched since then either, so there is
the potential to make that screen a bit more user friendly. Any comments
 from anyone on how to improve it? Feel free to comment:
http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/11279#comment:6