[wp-hackers] This was painful to read...

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Sat Nov 28 20:24:23 UTC 2009

On Nov 28, 2009, at 6:21 AM, Thomas Belknap wrote:

> I can get behind the URL routing issues. I can get behind supporting
> slightly more abstraction to the data structure of WordPress for the sake of
> greater flexibility. But it *is* WORDpress, not PDFpress or EvaluationPress.
> The assumption has always been that WordPress is a blog - or if you prefer
> not to use that term, a "self publication tool." - not a CMS.

See, the problem is that whenever a discussion like this comes up-- e.g. "how can we make WordPress more like a CMS?"-- we get a lot of snarky remarks back along the lines of "It's already a CMS, dummy".  Then for other discussions we get "It's not a CMS and shouldn't be."

Well which is it?  You can't argue against changes with both "it's not one" and "it's already one".

Personally, I stand behind Mike's post 100%.  WordPress should work on the API for custom post types.  I'm glad to see that this has gotten some progress in 2.9, but definitely want to see it continue.

Here's the thing:  We don't need custom post type capabilities in the default Admin, but it would be wonderful to have to ability in the code so that *plugins* can easily add them and admin sections for them.  It would be cool, for example, to make edit pages modular and abstracted, so Plugins could readily make custom edit pages for Post Types by adding in edit sections -- almost like widgets.  For Post Type X I need the Text box, Parent, Categories, and nothing else.  Boom. Done.

In a way it's a shame that in Admin we moved away from "Action" ("Write". "Edit") menus toward "Thing" ("Posts", "Pages") menus, as this makes it more difficult -- or at least more bulky -- to incorporate custom post types.  Where previously it would have been intuitive to add a new item or two under "Edit", now to follow the existing structure it would be a case of adding a whole new top menu for each new Post Type, which would get big pretty quickly.

Well, that's just my two bits.

Again, I'm glad to see work on Custom Post types in 2.9.  Let's keep going!  :-)

Stephen

--
Stephen Rider
http://striderweb.com/