[wp-hackers] Putting post into /blog/

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Sat Nov 28 14:46:50 UTC 2009

Here's another URL related issue.  For the longest time I've wanted to move everything blog related (i.e. not "Pages") including tags, categories, and posts under the "/blog/" URL path.  Let me explain with hypothetical URLs:

example.com/products/
example.com/support/
example.com/about/
example.com/contact/
example.com/blog/
example.com/blog/category/{category_slug}/
example.com/blog/tag/{tag_slug}/
example.com/blog/{year}/{month}/{post_slug}/

You'd think this would be easy but unfortunately it has been a very elusive beast.

I met Matt at WordCamp Birmingham and he proposed a(n ugly) hack. The hack required moving everything index.php and wp-config.php into a /wp/ subdirectory and then in index.php I changed the require link to:

require('./wp/wp-blog-header.php');

And added this in wp-config.php:

define('WP_SITEURL', 'http://example.com/wp');

It worked, except for it broke the media uploads (I didn't learn that until much later, and who knows what else it breaks?)

This shouldn't be so hard, don't you agree?

Has anyone else tried this?  Can we make this work without an ugly hack, i.e. as an option in the admin console (and w/o having to move code to non-standard locations?)

Is there any will to add support for this pattern into core itself?

-Mike Schinkel