[wp-hackers] Options for Controller - Views

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Mon Nov 23 23:17:13 UTC 2009

I still don't understand the problem, exactly. It seems perfectly
clear and separated to me. I think you're conflating what each piece
does and trying to make things do something they were never designed
to do.

It's really quite simple.

URL comes in, gets grabbed.
WP_Rewrite parses it, sets up query_vars.
WP_Query is loaded and uses query_vars to get database data. Also sets
some internal flags.
template-loader.php is loaded last, and uses those flags to determine
the correct view.

Where is the disconnect between these? WP_Rewrite is relatively easy
to adjust and change if you know regexp. WP_Query is less easy to
change, but often it's unnecessary to mess with if you're loading
custom data. And the template-loader couldn't really be any more
simple, though it probably could be more efficient.

Let's try another approach: What is it that you want to do that you're
finding very difficult to do? Because I think you're simply
doing-it-wrong, somehow. If you want to "replace" WordPress' control,
than that's really not at all difficult to do.

-Otto
Sent from Memphis, TN, United States