[wp-hackers] Plugin activation/deactivation and testing?

mark waterous mark at watero.us
Thu Nov 19 21:52:09 UTC 2009

> Long post.. But i'll fill you in:

I apologize for the long post, I just wanted to make sure I was being
thorough and explaining the reason behind questioning the Codex.

> The activation hook should be used to create tables/defaults if they
> are not already set. You may want to change your deactivation hook to ask
> for confirmation before removing all the data.. Alternativly, You can have
> a look at the plugin uninstall hooks which are run on plugin DELETE, So
> users can deactivate your plugin, yet keep the settings until they
> decide to delete it through the admin interface.

When asking for confirmation during the deactivation am I able to just halt
the process by outputting a form/HTML inside the deactivation hook, or would
I have to implement such a confirmation via Javascript or otherwise?

I appreciate the information on how that process works. I believe I'm going
to have to rethink my whole upgrade schema to try and take advantage of this
fact while still accommodating those people who are hands on about it.

--
Mark Waterous
http://mark.watero.us/