[wp-hackers] Plugins and themes localization

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Wed Nov 18 07:46:55 UTC 2009

I think we need to steer clear from using readme.txt for this.

We need to work towards a situation where the plugin developer does
not need to get involved for translations to happen much like we have
for the core of WordPress where the translation files are stored in
separate svn and the translators have deployment tools available.

At present it is easy to make your plugin translatable - if you log
into the admin section for your plugin on WordPress.org you can
download a pot file for your plugin and you can also use the tools
there to add a textdomain to all your translatable strings.

Like the plugin compatibility data this is an area where we need to
make the information source the community rather than funnel
everything through the plugin developer.

Maybe we could have an online translation tool hosted on wordpress.org
where people could translate the odd string?

--
Peter Westwood
C53C F8FC 8796 8508 88D6 C950 54F4 5DCD A834 01C5