[wp-hackers] Not willing to summon the ancient troll, but... PHP5 in WP 3.0 ?

Ken Newman Ken at adcSTUDIO.com
Mon Nov 16 22:13:55 UTC 2009

On 11/16/2009 4:18 PM, Demetris wrote:
> Not that it matters, but I am with Matt on this.  The WP versioning
> scheme is a good self-restraint;  it does not leave you any room to
> play games with numbers.  (Or we could end up doing it like Google. We
> have barely seen their browser yet, and it is already on version 4!)
>
> Cheers!
>
> Demetris
> http://op111.net/

I think there's something to be said of doing it the other way. A 3.0
release being a "Major" release would allow for major changes that a
limited number of users may not be ready for, like PHP 5 support and
removing PHP 4 backporting. Like wise, removing depreciated functions,
code rewrites, re factoring, and abstractions could be done with less
disruption on a real full major release because its expected for major
releases. Going forward, and for a limited time, there would be support
for 2.9.1, or 2.10 etc for security updates, and those users would have
to eventually upgrade before support ended. Maintaining two branches
(one only for security), but for a relatively short term wouldn't be too
onerous would it? It seems to work for most projects, though I may be
missing something here.