[wp-hackers] Feed caching

Andrew Nacin anacin at gwhatchet.com
Wed Nov 11 05:27:49 UTC 2009

Looks like the _transient_feed_* transients are where feeds are cached (both
simplepie and magpierss use transients) and that the rss_* options are from
before 2.8 and the introduction of transients.

Not sure why rss_* options aren't removed in the upgrade process but I
assume there was a reason for not having that occur.

It's been previously mentioned that you could hook
into wp_feed_cache_transient_lifetime. I suppose you could set it to 0 but
it would be more efficient if you could hook directly into fetch_feed and
modify the Simplepie options. I submitted
http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/11117 earlier today to address that.
That would allow you to do something like:

if ( defined('WP_DEBUG') && WP_DEBUG ) add_action('wp_feed_options',
'do_not_cache_feeds');
function do_not_cache_feeds(&$feed) {
$feed->enable_cache(false);
}