[wp-hackers] template checks

Joost de Valk joost at yoast.com
Tue May 26 21:44:52 GMT 2009

Hey,

I've just added this:

// Check for wp_footer
$templates = array();
$templates[] = "footer.php";
$file = file_get_contents(locate_template($templates));
preg_match('/.*(wp_footer\(\);).*/',$file,$matches);
if (!$matches[1]) {
     echo "<div id=\"message\"
your footer.php file,  this might mean this plugin will not
work!</p></div>\n";
}

to my Google Analytics plugin, after the gazillionth complaint from
somebody that their theme didn't have a wp_footer call. Is it an idea to
add a check like this for both wp_footer and wp_head into WordPress
core, or give people some other way to validate these things are right
before they start complaining to plugin authors?

I know this could break on themes with no footer.php file, any hints to
more subtle checks are appreciated :)

Best,
Joost

--
*Joost de Valk*
Online Marketing, WordPress, SEO & Social Media Strategy