[wp-hackers] 2.8 plugins page

Jeremy Clarke jer at simianuprising.com
Tue May 12 23:51:29 GMT 2009

Most of what I think has already been said, but I'd like to +1 for NOT
paging the comments list by default.

IMHO if you have enough plugins that you need it (say >50 plugins)
you're making bad decisions and WP should if not mandatorily then
implicitly recommend against such behavior. "Oh, you're plugins page
is loading slowly eh? Could it be you have COMLETELY LOST CONTROL?" I
don't want to tell people how to run their sites, but its' totally an
edge case and it doesn't take THAT much imagination to think of this
as a problem that could and should be solved by a plugin rather than
core.

As a reference I am someone who would theoretically be in need of the
paging on the categories screen (>300 categories in a complex
hierarchy), but at the end of the day it ALMOST ALWAYS just gets in my
way. It messes up the category hierarchy and makes it hard to find
parents+children and in the end it takes longer to find the category
than to just wait for the on giant page to load slowly.

Back to the plugins page, I think if anything the option should be
there but opposite to how it is now. Show all plugins by default and
if someone actually needs them paged let them manually choose to do
so. For bonus points just count their total plugins, and if its
greater than whatever number (20? 40?) show a message saying "Is this
page slow for you? You have a lot of plugins so you might want to turn
on paging" with a button that changes the setting.

--
Jeremy Clarke
Code and Design | globalvoicesonline.org