[wp-hackers] Pull Latest Post from Each of 6 Categories

modder poster at communitymodder.com
Tue May 5 01:25:01 GMT 2009

If you would only want to do this in one instance then it would probably
make sense to just use the direct sql method then adjust it as wordpress
upgrades. I really think that the concerns about upgrading are
unfounded. Aside from the fact that the database schema does not change
very often, an existing query can easily be adjusted to factor in schema
changes at the point you decide to upgrade. However, this is only
practical on a single site. I would definitely not suggest this for a
plugin developer.

One option would be to simply extend the WP_Query class to factor in the
flexibility you require. That way you can use your new custom class in
your special case without breaking anything. This method would be most
usefully if you require the same sort of functionality all over your
site. It would still be good however to keep note of changes to the
WP_Query class.