[wp-hackers] 24-hour has-patch marathon TODAY

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Sun May 3 16:40:15 GMT 2009

On 30 Apr 2009, at 15:25, John Blackbourn wrote:

> How about "simple-patch" in addition to "has-patch" ?

>>> LOL.  Better go with "simple".  "Quick" would be used by anyone
>>> who wants their patch committed NOW.
>>
>> "Quick" can also refer to the "quick edit" functionality in WP, so
>> it might not be a useful tag search term. So I'm definitely +1 on
>> making "simple" an official keyword.
>>
>> From a practical perspective, you would need to add the new keyword
>>   http://codex.wordpress.org/Reporting_Bugs#Trac_Keywords
>> and also it would be useful to make a query that looks for "has-
>> patch" with "simple" at
>>  http://core.trac.wordpress.org/report
>> to make it useful. Anyone can edit the Codex, but I believe a Trac
>> admin needs to add the new query.
>>
>> Or better yet, maybe add "has-patch" + "simple" to the {9} Commit
>> Candidates query on the Reports page?

Adding extra keywords really isn't going to help the workload! -  I
get enough mail from the wp-trac mailing list as it is.

Reading back through this thread (I was on Holiday when the patch
marathon occurred) I have the following comments:

What it really needs it people to understand that patch review takes
time.

Time to read the code, time to understand what the problem is meant to
be, etc.

If you want your patch to be accepted quickly then the following would
be helpful.

Describe the issue clearly, if the issue is related to plugin/theme
code you can't get to work then give us an example which shows the
issue.
Follow the coding standards.
Champion your patch - contact the dev team in IRC.
Keep your patch up to date.

Now, I'm off to review and commit some patches

westi
--
Peter Westwood
C53C F8FC 8796 8508 88D6 C950 54F4 5DCD A834 01C5