[wp-hackers] Accessibility of WP back end (was: Is WP back end supposed to work without JavaScript?)

Rich Pedley elflop at googlemail.com
Sun May 3 08:13:54 GMT 2009

2009/5/2 Ryan Boren <ryan at boren.nu>:

> We had several people running JAWS against 2.7 before release and all
> was well. Alas, I don't have it to test with.  Could someone who
> actually uses it let us know how it's handling labels.  Ignoring
> hidden labels would seem to make little sense.  They exist solely for
> the benefit screen readers.

yes but display:none has been used for other things, not just labels.

Whilst on the subject of accessibility, it should be noted that by
default WP produces some things which can be considered inaccessible.
One prime example is the 'Read more' link text. In WCAG 1 it stated
that link text should be unique. the Read More link specifically can
appear several times on a page, but link to different pages. I know it
can be customised, but if you want WP to be considered accessible out
of the box, then that would need changing.
( I can't say for certainty what appear in WCAG 2, I'm not fully upto
speed with it).

oh and
http://accessites.org/site/2008/11/wordpress-and-accessibility/
is a good read.