[wp-hackers] Hiding Child's Template Theme

Demetris kikizas at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 14:14:32 GMT 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 4:46 PM, Chris Jean <gaarai at gaarai.com> wrote:
> I'm starting to play around with child themes and wondered if it is possible
> to hide the parent or template theme of a child theme in Manage Themes.

[SNIP]

>   Theme Name: Parent Theme
>   Theme URI: http://wordpress.org
>   Author: Chris
>   Author URI: http://site.com
>   Version: 1.0
>   *Hidden: yes*
>
> Of course, a different option could be used instead of "Hidden:", and I'm
> open to suggestions.
>
> I'm passing this by the list first to see 1) how many other developers are
> interested in my proposal and 2) if any other developers have any
> suggestions or recommendations.

My first thought is that this could work if there were themes that are
explicitly made to be used only as parent themes.

But if you use a theme like Sandbox or Thematic AND want to get
updates for it (which is the whole point of using a child theme) how
would you do it?

Maintain a parallel distribution?  Then the point of using a child
theme is defeated...

Am I missing something here?

Cheers,

dk