[wp-hackers] Plugin Author Best Practices?

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Sun Mar 22 13:05:23 GMT 2009

There's nothing really preventing you from creating a script that
creates your own managed resource store, but linking it in with the
main WP Turbo function is a bit trickier.

The wp-gears script is enqueued by the Tools menu section, so you'd
want to deregister that script and register your own in its name
("wp-gears"). Your script would basically be a copy of the existing
wp-gears.dev.js file, with additional bits in the createStore section
to create your own store and give it a manifest as well.

Alternatively, you could have it load a different manifest file
(instead of creating your own store), then running the existing
manifest program within that, then use output buffering to insert your
bits into it. That's more complicated, but a bit cleaner in the end.

Regardless, it's still a poor solution either way. You're having to
override existing code instead of happily adding bits to it.

And honestly, there's not much I can think of that a plugin should
need to store in the gears cache. Few images, perhaps, maybe some CSS
and such. But how many plugins have a lot of those? Remember, the
whole point of the cache is to cache the static objects, not dynamic
pages and such. Can't cache those, and most plugins have nothing but
those.

-Otto