[wp-hackers] GSoC2009 idea: Workflows/Moderation in WordPress
scompt at scompt.com
Sun Mar 22 02:28:17 GMT 2009
I'm thinking of applying for a GSoC slot this summer. Here's the
beginnings of my idea. If anyone has any feedback, I'd appreciate it.
This ties in a bit to the 'User Roles' project suggestion on the wiki,
but goes in a slightly different direction. It could encompass the
ideas mentioned there or not. I'm interested in adding a moderation
workflow to WordPress. If WordPress is a CMS (not to touch a nerve),
then such a system that controls the flow of information from the
brains of the authors through the hands of editors/managers into the
eyes of the public would be useful.
I think what I'm proposing would make the most sense as a plugin, as
most people probably don't need a full publishing workflow on their
Typical use cases might include:
* category editors - to be published in a category, a post/page must
be approved by an editor for that category
* the big boss - everything that gets published must get the ok of the boss
* writer->editor->designer - the writer writes text, which is edited
by the editor, and then made pretty by the designer
* Is limiting an author to a category just a simple workflow case or
The major pieces of the plugin would be:
* interface for designing the workflow, could have multiple stages,
stages dependent on category...
* notifications when a post/page reaches the next stage of the workflow
* moderation comments and sending the post/page back to the previous
stage of the workflow
* lots of hooking into capabilities to force things into the workflow.
Here's a bit of personal background. I developed a simple workflow
plugin called Zensor for a high school in Germany. It hasn't been
updated in a long time and isn't designed to facilitate the above
ideas. I did some theorizing about workflows in WordPress on the
but never took it any further than that. I've done some WordPress
consulting while at university, including developing plugins and
complex WP-based sites.
Thanks for your feedback!
More information about the wp-hackers