[wp-hackers] GSoC 2009 : User Roles Project Idea

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Thu Mar 19 15:35:18 GMT 2009

Hi Nimal:

I'd like to see named roles and ability to assign rights to user roles as well as assign users to roles both on a user admin page as well as on a role admin page.  I'd like to see a system that supports defining an effectively unlimited number of different type of rights where a plugin could define its own rights such as "User can Rate Post", "User can Upload Avatar", "User can Edit SEO Options" and so on.

Lastly, the checks in code for these rights need to be highly optimized so that adding user management does not add significant processing overhead to plugins (and possibly core) that may use it.

Does this help?

-Mike Schinkel
http://mikeschinkel.com/