[wp-hackers] Re: Good practice for customizations to a theme?

Ian Stewart ian at themeshaper.com
Thu Mar 19 12:26:42 GMT 2009

The best thing to do is make a Child Theme of your base theme (in this case,
Thematic). You can use functions.php in your Child Theme template to filter
and hook into base theme functions and filters, and WordPress functions and
filters.

It's pretty easy to make a Child Theme (and especially easy to make a robust
one with Thematic). Here's a quick tutorial to get you started: <
http://op111.net/53>. Thematic includes a sample Child Theme that you can
copy into wp-content/themes.

For more advanced edits with Thematic check out the ThemeShaper forums <
http://themeshaper.com/forums/> or the Thematic Code Snippets project <
http://www.wupperpiraten.de/kategorie/thematic/code_snippets/>.

--
Ian Stewart