[wp-hackers] Good practice for customizations to a theme?

Alex Polite mylists at polite.se
Thu Mar 19 11:43:16 GMT 2009

So I'm plowing away at my first WP-setup for "real" a client. (one
that actually pays me). I'm putting all the customizations in a plugin
so as to make them more future proof then plain hacking to the
WP-core. This way it's easier for the client to take the plugin code
and hand it to another developer if the get tired of me.

But what do I do about customizations to the theme? I'm using Thematic
as a starting point. Right now my strategy is to just copy the
thematic code to a different directory and hack away at it. This won't
be any good at all when the next version of thematic comes along and I
have to merge my revisions and those of the Thematic core.

What do other folks do?

alex

--
http://pipedreams.polite.se/about/