[wp-hackers] Plugin Version Control & Source Code Hosting?

Beau Lebens beau at dentedreality.com.au
Thu Mar 19 01:17:09 GMT 2009

> 1.) Where's the best place to host the source code? Google code, or somewhere else?

If you're planning on submitting it to the official WordPress plugin
directory, then it manages source code via a Subversion repository
(e.g. one of mine: http://svn.wp-plugins.org/sparkplug/). Once you
submit and get it approved, they'll send you details on accessing it.

> 2.) For those who have plugin projects that are independent of a specific website but for which you use on more than one of your WP sites, how do you manage the version control? Do you keep in a "Plugins" directory outside of a WP project somewhere and then have some type of project that keeps the most recent version of your original source in sync? Or maybe this is something than a Subversion client can handle on it's own?

Personally, I manage them through SVN (either through the official
repo, or through one of my own) and then check them out to the server
where I'm hosting the custom site. Depending on how things operate
(e.g. for WPMU installs I do it sometimes), I check out the files to a
specific location (~/svn or something) and then symlink the required
files into place in the (mu-)plugins/ directory.

HTH,

Beau