[wp-hackers] WP oldest file ?

Simon Wheatley simon at sweetinteraction.com
Wed Mar 11 17:08:17 GMT 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 6:50 AM, Malaiac <malaiac at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm looking for an "almost sure" way to know if a website is running
> WordPress, by pinging a file
> What could be the oldest available file in a WP release ?
> wp-load.php ? the forbidden wp-includes directory ?

Tricky. Even if you do find a common file, how will you find the root
of their WordPress install? Some people will have installed this into
the "blog" or other arbitrary named directory off the docroot, others
might be using a technique to store the WP files in a separate
directory while still having their blog appear on the root location of
their site [1].

However, as most people have suggested, the majority scenario is
probably the wp-admin directory off the root of the website.

Good luck.

[1] http://codex.wordpress.org/Giving_WordPress_Its_Own_Directory