[wp-hackers] Should Monthly Archive Pages ever return 404?

Casey Bisson casey.bisson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 18:59:32 GMT 2009

Are you arguing that the page shouldn't return a 404, or that WP
should implement some more elegant hooks to handle 404 conditions?

You should take a look inside the WP_Query object. It's written to
parse every possible legal request URL, and if you hook into in the
right places, you'll also find opportunities to generate more useful
404s when either the query parser fails or if the database returns no
results (as is the case with your example).

--Casey

http://maisonbisson.com
http://scriblio.net