[wp-hackers] Good tools for deployment.

Jacob Santos wordpress at santosj.name
Tue Mar 3 04:50:56 GMT 2009

The reason to use Subversion is that it is faster, safer, and can be
automatic without need for direct WordPress support. Also, I've been
moving plugins to Subversion as well, as an external, this means that
plugins can be upgraded as well.

The goal is to make the upgrade process as seamless and quick as
possible. A SVN update does not require updating files which have no
changed and even those that changed, it only downloads the changes that
have occurred with each version. Therefore, I mean, by moving to a
strictly Subversion checkout for both core and Plugins, I bypass the
need for the automatic upgrades.

The only issues I have is that it is hella pain-in-the-ass moving the
wp-content directory. Don't get me wrong, it is extremely easy to do it
in WordPress, it is just that testing is a pain in the ass. Having to
explain the exact defines that are required and everything is a little
extreme. Besides that, once it is set up, it is super sweet.

Jacob Santos