[wp-hackers] Advertising on plugin pages

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Mon Mar 2 16:31:30 GMT 2009

"Stephen Rider" <wp-hackers at striderweb.com> wrote:
> Especially when you think of situations where somebody
> is hired to set up a site for a client.  If the dev uses
> your plugin, the client is going to come back to *that*
> person saying "Why the hell are you putting ads in the
> admin?"

I think you have the germ of an idea there, not about ads but about the difference between Joe Blogger who sets up a blog to speak his mind and uses plugins to help, and Joe Web Dev who sets up WP sites for clients.  Joe Web Dev makes a living doing it and he or better yet his client's really should be supporting their plugin developers.

Is there a way to maintain the free-ness and avoid the ads, but make it much more likely that the commercial users of WordPress would send a reasonable donation to the developers, we might have something here.

FWIW I suggested to my current client that they allocate some funds for donation (I am a sub to them) and they were annoyed with me for asking. That said I'll personally be making donations to those who built the plugins we ultimately used, but not as much as they should have.

-Mike
P.S. Sorry for using "him" but it worked with "Joe." Maybe I should have used "Josephine..?"