[wp-hackers] Advertising on plugin pages

Heiko Rabe heiko.rabe at code-styling.de
Sun Mar 1 23:33:30 GMT 2009

The main difference is, that normal plugins won't load code, images or
something else from 3rd party servers.
And yes, i review each plugin and theme i plan to use.

Sure, every plugin can do "bad" things, but if i have a plugin in test,
that prominent shows me loaded 3rd party things, i will first of all
deactivate it and inspect it more carefully as i would do with others.
Also i have a service plugin running which scanns each other plugins php
pages for unknown fopen, fetch_rss and many more remote call funtions
reported at dashboard, if unknown.

Normally no plugin needs 3rd party server calls (except those intended
to work so like akismet, content importer or known defined things).
I don't expect remote calls in plugins like smiley replacer but you want
introduce 3rd party calls for this too.

And if the 3rd party server has been hacked, all plugin using domains
will be virulent infected too. Also a DNS spoofing attack can route the
advertising calls to an evil server and serves now real "bullshit".
This is not longer under control of blog admins and what you think will
happen, if your plugin is the source of lost revenues of high traffic
installations by attacks ? What you think, their lawyer will do ?

regards

Heiko Rabe
(http://www.code-styling.de)