[wp-hackers] Advertising on plugin pages

Heiko Rabe heiko.rabe at code-styling.de
Sun Mar 1 21:36:22 GMT 2009

That javascripts potentially injected into backend pages can't directly
communicate to an other host than the admin is running because of "same
origin policy".
They will at least need to be inside an iframe (as known as from googles
adsence program) or be able to call the WordPress plugin itself as
proxy, which is rounting the calls to the intended origin and returns
back the answers.
In such cases (proxy behavoir) this plugin and also the transmitted
ad-ware can spoof this interface (if it can be studied as source level)
and drop any PHP code or prepared images with inplace script code that
IE runs as example.
Futhermore any call to third party transmits automatical IP, hostname
and if coded much more data out of the blogs domain and could also be
used to transfer much more confidential data as expected.
You will run into the fact that developers will disassemble the entire
plugin code to be sure, nothing unwanted will be transmitted. Such time
wasting effort would force me to drop such a plugin and search for an
ad free solution or to rewrite it without ads.
As 2nd point, some Blogs are configured to deny any outside access from
backend (blocked by provider or for own security reason) and this may
lead to request delays and time gaps while 3rd party is unreachable.
And also keep in mind, if something of this interface can be abused, you
would get at lot of flame articles on the web, that you are the reason
for blog intrusions.

I will not condemn any ads needed to earn so money for free plugin work,
but i think it's not worth to place it at backend pages.

Heiko Rabe
(http://www.code-styling.de)