[wp-hackers] Plugin dependency checking

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Thu Jun 18 14:10:52 GMT 2009

On Jun 18, 2009, at 1:22 AM, Mike Schinkel wrote:

> In earlier emails on this thread we discussed how interfaces could
> be managed on wordpress.org with a fallback to interfaces defined
> locally in a plugin which fully addresses this issue. If you read
> back through this entire thread you can to see the direction we were
> headed. Without speaking for them I believe scribu and Stephen were
> appreciating this direction.

Just for the record, I am not a fan of plugins depending on some
service from a web site -- wordpress.org or otherwise.*  (If it's
specific to the plugin -- e.g. Akismet -- fine, but not in a sense
general to all plugins.)

So long as plugins can register interfaces locally, I'm okay with the
site registration being a possibility....

Stephen

* This is already an issue for me with plugins and the auto-update: My
plugins are not hosted on Extend, and as a result they are not checked
for updates -- but the WP update check implicitly says "there are no
updates for this plugin" by way of complete silence.

--
Stephen Rider
http://striderweb.com/