[wp-hackers] WXR compatibility

Geoffrey Sneddon foolistbar at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 15 18:54:19 GMT 2009

On 15 Jun 2009, at 18:58, Beau Lebens wrote:

>> Must the WXR importer remain compatible with all possible WXR
>> exports,
>> including those that aren't XML documents?
>
> Is it possible to convert non-XML WXR exports into valid XML on the
> fly? How bad are they?

Yeah, I guess. Seeming we have <generator> giving (WP) version, we
should be able to do it based upon WP version. If anyone can help to
gather together a list of bugs (only those that cause WXR to not be
XML) affecting WP versions (up to 2.8, ones that only exist in trunk
can be fixed at an export level) I would be grateful.

To start:

http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/9633
http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/9524
http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/7624