[wp-hackers] Plugin dependency checking

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Thu Jun 11 22:40:43 GMT 2009

Is there any reason why WordPress doesn't/we couldn't (shouldn't?) keep an array of plugin directories keys by plugin name (from WordPress.org's URL slug) and then have a function to retrieve the directory by name/slug?  Non-hosted plugins could expose a name but not be guaranteed they are unique. This would provide the ability to have a function(s) like:

get_plugin_info($name)
get_plugin_dir($name)

I'm assuming WordPress has to scan the plugins directory at some point so why not save it for convenience of coding and to have a canonical method for determining info about a plugin?

-Mike Schinkel
Custom Wordpress Plugins
http://mikeschinkel.com/custom-wordpress-plugins