[wp-hackers] ajax and $wpdb

Eric Marden wp at xentek.net
Thu Jul 30 03:01:38 UTC 2009

On Jul 29, 2009, at 2:45 PM, Silverstein, Jesse wrote:
> Re: Simon's problem of plugin directory location & editing plugin
> files:
>
> I think if your plugin file has loaded, it's safe to assume that
> ABSPATH has been defined, and you can go from there.

ABSPATH is only created for you if wp-load.php is called. If you're
sending some processing out to userland, you may need to carry that
path around with you. Like Simon noted if you move your WP files
around to nonstandard places, you can't be sure where wp-load.php is,
and hence will not have any CONSTANTS defined when you need them. One
(sort of) inelegant solution is to wrap your JS file in a PHP script
and pass the path into to dynamically write your ajax URLs therein.

I've been bitten by this since I put WP in its own folder via
svn:externals, move my wp-content folder elsewhere and do other custom
stuff in my set-up. If for some reason wp-load.php needs to be
included directly into another script (in a plugin, ajax endpoint,
etc) and the code depends on wp-load.php to be relative to wp-content,
then you run into troubles.

There is more than one plugin that won't work with my custom set-up
because of this very issue. I haven't found a good work around to this
yet.

- Eric Marden
http://xentek.net/code/wordpress/