[wp-hackers] register_activation_hook() problem

Adam Taylor adamjctaylor at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 14:56:17 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Jennifer Hodgdon <yahgrp at poplarware.com>wrote:

> Austin Matzko wrote:
> It is definitely true that you need the global declaration inside your
> function. But specifically for activation, you may need to also leave the
> global declaration outside the function block as well. I've run into
> problems with activation in WP, and needed to do things like this in the
> main body of the plugin:
>  global $wpdb;
>  global $mymodulevariable = 12234;
> in order to get activation functions to work correctly.
>
>    --Jennifer

I've tried:

    global $thumbs;
    $thumbs = new ThumbsUp();

    function thumbs_install() {

        //$thumbs = new ThumbsUp();
        $thumbs->installThumbsUp();
    }

    global $thumbs;

    function thumbs_install() {

        $thumbs = new ThumbsUp();
        $thumbs->installThumbsUp();
    }

And

    function thumbs_install() {

        global $thumbs;

        $thumbs = new ThumbsUp();
        $thumbs->installThumbsUp();
    }

And they *all* produce the same error:

*Fatal error*: Cannot redeclare thumbs_install() (previously declared in
/dev/site/wp-content/plugins/thumbs-up/thumbs-up.php:163) in *
/dev/site/wp-content/plugins/thumbs-up/thumbs-up.php* on line *164*

Saying that it does still activate the plugin.
adamjctaylor at gmail.com
http://www.twitter.com/adamtaylor