[wp-hackers] Meta tables: Take 5

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Mon Jul 27 14:57:03 UTC 2009

Thanks for that long answer, but I still did not hear a viable
alternate to CRUD, only some hypothetical panacea.

In my development experience (which spans 20 years now) I've gone from
strong believing in abstracted solutions to learned belief that
abstraction for abstraction sake is bad and it's better to stay closer
to the metal unless and until a true pattern emerges. When that
pattern dies, it should ideally implement in the language (i.e. the
"foreach" iteration pattern vs. "for" with counter variables) or it
that can't happen then in language's library or lastly in a framework
like WordPress' core.  As far as I can see, the only true pattern
visible is CRUD.  Something better may come along but I have yet to
see it.

Simpler is better.

-Mike Schinkel
WordPress Custom Plugins