[wp-hackers] Single sign-on SSL domain

Stephane Daury wordpress at tekartist.org
Thu Jul 23 15:54:15 UTC 2009

Oh boy, you're in a world of pain on this one, especially if you have
a lot of domains (not subdomains), which the wildcard cert won't help
you with. Uou'd also still have the IP-per-host requirement,
regardless of if it's a wildcard or not.

Anyway, one (hopefully) constructive solution I could offer would be
for you to look into having your users managed in an LDAP server
instead, then run an WP-to-LDAP auth plugin like http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wpdirauth
  (which btw also has an option to force WP to serve the login screen
under SSL).

This is how I was dealing with this when working for a large
university, faced with the same issues as you currently are. What
happens is that the login form is still WP's, but it hits the LDAP
server in the back with the provided credentials when it doesn;t find
a matching user in the WP tables. So all you have to do (beyond
maintaining an LDAP server...) is *simply* not create and/or port your
existing WP users to LDAP, and you're done.

The big question here is: are your users supposed to be able to
register on their own, or are they provided with single sign-on
credentials that work everywhere (like enterprise users would be)? The
above LDAP plugin of course only handles login, not registration.

BTW: in regards to forcing OpenID: one reason they haven't replied
might be that (up until recently?) WP will only let us extend the
login form, not replace its core behavior. You could hack it to remove
the WP login fields, but that'd mean hacking core files, which I would
never advise to do. Note that this might change in the future, since
changes to the auth system in WP 2.8 make it possible to overcome this
issue, thanks to Will Norris' work: http://willnorris.com/2009/03/authentication-in-wordpress-28

Anyway, here were my two cents. Hoping it might be of help. :)

Cheers,

Stephane Daury