[wp-hackers] mod_rewrite help

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Sun Jul 19 05:26:17 UTC 2009

Bryan,

Since you have a one-time conversion you could write an add-hoc plugin, or maybe even add the code to your theme's functions.php file and hook "template_redirect"[1] something like this:

add_action('template_redirect','joomla_url_fix');
function joomla_url_fix() {
  $path = $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'];
  if (preg_match('#^/category/([^-]+)-([^.]+).html$#',$path)) {
    $url_paths = array();
    // Do one line of these for each of your Joomla URLs
    $url_paths['{joomla_url_path}'] = '{wordpress_url_path}';
    //...
    if (isset($url_paths[$path])) {
      header('Location:' . $url_paths[$$path],true,301);
      exit();
    }
  }
}

Of course replace {joomla_url_path} and {wordpress_url_path} with the matching URL paths from Joomla and WordPress. Also, I didn't test this code so not sure if the RegEx works or that there's not another bug in it, but hopefully you know enough PHP to get the picture?

Hope this helps. BTW, congrats on graduating from Joomla to WordPress. :)

-Mike Schinkel
Custom Wordpress Plugins
http://mikeschinkel.com/custom-wordpress-plugins

[1] You can out in functions.php in your theme if it is loaded before "template_redirect", but I'm not sure it is.