[wp-hackers] readme.txt: "Requires PHP 5 tag"

Aaron D. Campbell aaron at xavisys.com
Tue Jul 14 17:54:54 UTC 2009

Most of my plugins require PHP5+
<http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/profile/aaroncampbell>. Notice that
I add "Requires PHP5" right into the main plugin description, which
helped a lot. Also, make some sort of canned response for the questions
you get similar to this:

The plugin requires PHP 5 and you’re running PHP 4. Most hosts offer
PHP5 but you probably have to enable it in your control panel, through
.htaccess, or by asking them.

As for switching to PHP 5, there's been rumors of switching in 3.0, but
I'm sure that'll be based on stats collected. I think Matt said that
they already have 80+% of WordPress installs using PHP5+, but he didn't
know the exact number. Either way, it's definitely been discussed to
death on this list.