[wp-hackers] "Report Abuse" for comments

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Sat Jan 31 09:12:43 GMT 2009

Hi all:

My client want "report abuse" functionality for comments which is easy to implement with AJAX, but my concern is providing them with a way to review and moderate reported comments. The comment moderation queue would be perfect for this but it appears after reviewing /wp-admin/edit-comments.php that it was not designed to be extended (am I wrong here?)

Based also on a review of /wp-include/comments.php the most appropriate place to tag it would be to use "comment_approved" and give it a value of "abuse" (that field gets 0 for hold (pending), 1 for approve (approved), and "spam" for spam.) However, the admin console wouldn't support abuse unless I really hacked it and I wouldn't want to hack it until my hacks could be rolled into v2.8.

Thoughts?  (Or is there a "hook"able way to do this that I've missed?)

Thanks in advance.

-Mike Schinkel
http://mikeschinkel.com/