[wp-hackers] PHP5

Will Anderson wp-hackers at itsananderson.com
Fri Jan 30 23:09:37 GMT 2009

In hopes of distracting the "religious" fanatics I'll add this question to
the mix.Does the fact that WordPress chooses to support nearly all users
mean that plugin developers have to?
If you want to screw things up for 40% of users, can't you write a plugin
that uses PHP5 constructs?

Seriously though, I don't understand why everyone is so upset about the
version of PHP that WordPress uses.
The argument that it's slower is only half true. Servers with PHP5 WILL run
WordPress faster (there's nowhere in WordPress that says "I support PHP4, so
run me slowly).
The only place you'll see a slow down is where older (and slower) constructs
are used, rather than ones that are new to PHP5. I don't think this really
contributes THAT much to the speed (though I could be wrong).

Again, I don't think the version that WordPress supports has to dictate what
version plugin developers support, as long as they're willing to leave a
large fraction of the WordPress community out in the cold.
To me, though, that's like creating a Theme that looks good in FireFox,
Opera, Safari, and Chrome (add any other modern, compliant browser you
want), but looks like crap in any version of IE.

Will Anderson
http://www.itsananderson.com/