[wp-hackers] shortcode for images?

Paul paul at codehooligans.com
Thu Jan 29 18:36:45 GMT 2009

All,

Just wondering is there are any future core plans to replace the full
URL of images inserted into Posts/Pages with some new image shortcode?

Historically I've always disagreed with placing the full image URL
into the post body since this limits the overall blog portability. As
a full-time developer I usually develop the client WordPress site on
my local system. This includes importing any legacy blog posts,
images, documents, etc. When I push this to the client server I have
to search and replace the local URL the client site URL. Not s big
issue really I know.

Another example. I'm converting this HRC blog site http://www.hrcbackstory.org/
  from TypePad to a self-hosted WordPress instance http://blogstaging.hrcsupport.org
. The site has over 1460 posts and most post have 2 or more images.
The dev URL 'blogstaging.hrcsupport.org' used for the staging site
will need to be updated when they point the live domain 'www.hrcbackstory.org
' to the self-hosted WordPress site end of next week. At that time
I'll need to update the database. Again, not a big issue. But would be
nice if the client could do this themselves. I was thinking there
could be a cleaner way.

Seems that shortcodes are all the rage now. Most media plugin
developers are utilizing them quite well. So why is WordPress still
using the full URL for the image source? I noticed the new image
caption already uses shortcode [caption... ]. Seems it would not be a
big task to use a shortcode for the image itself. Just wondering.

Paul Menard
http://www.codehooligans.com