[wp-hackers] Seeking some advice

Glenn Ansley glenn at glennansley.com
Tue Jan 20 23:22:54 GMT 2009

What about the following:

1) Don't allow [insert userlevel] to edit other users posts (or user
the user permissions plugin)
2) Create a category called "Columns" or whatever
3) Modify front end loop(s) to work accordingly

* Instruct your columnists just post to that category
* Your loop for Joe's column only shows posts from 'column' category
authored by 'joe'
* Your loop for Pam's column only shows posts from 'column' cat
authored by 'pam'

* If you don't want them posting to other cats, I'm sure you could
easily limit that directly by hooking into save_post and checking the
POST data (kill it if perms don't work out like you want... eg. joe
isn't posting to his column... or better yet... detect the user and
manually delete cats in POST and add users... then you could hide the
whole cat div for joe in write / edit screen).

* You could even use JS to hide cats on write post screen if there
aren't hooks to do that in PHP.

I'm probably missing something but maybe that sparks an idea somewhere

Glenn Ansley
Web Design | http://glennansley.com
Plugin Dev   | http://fullthrottledevelopment.com