[wp-hackers] Plugin Upgrade Failing when using Subversion

Harish Narayanan harish.mlists at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 16:26:36 GMT 2009

Mike Schinkel wrote:
>> I set these properties by connecting to my server
>> via ssh, navigating to the appropriate folders and
>> using svn propset. Look for svn:ignore on the
>> following page for detailed information:
>> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch07s02.html
>
> Thanks, I'll check it out, but probably after this project though; don't have time to become an SVN expert before launch, unfortunately. :-(

All right.

>> See if this makes sense, as I am doing something
>> fundamentally different:
>
> Yes, it does make sense. What's different is I'm developing locally for a (near-)future deployment.  I think the difference is we are not making any changes on a live server until they first go from dev to staging/testing, then to live.  SVN used on dev but not on stage/test or live.

I understand, but the persnickety step is really the same. Since my
journal is not mission critical (hah!), what you call staging/testing is
my live implementation.

>> To avoid any confusion, I keep anything that's
>> not part of the default WordPress repository
>> explicitly out of this revision control---
>> which is what I was advising you to do.
>
> Given our use case, which is partially to archive and partially to be able to recreate a fully working implementation, that doesn't really work for us, unfortunately. Wish it did.

I only said keep things external to WordPress out of the original
repository. You can easily have a separate repository for your plug-in
additions/changes or your theme development. But that's a story for
another day. I wish you luck on finding something that works in the
short term for your current project.

> Thanks for the help.

Glad to help.

Harish