[wp-hackers] Plugin Upgrade Failing when using Subversion

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Thu Jan 15 20:13:50 GMT 2009

"DD32" <wordpress at dd32.id.au> wrote:
>  * Yes, Leaving the svn details for later svn up'ing is nice.. but..
Those who use svn are not those who'll be using the upgrader in the
first place..

Totally disagree. I'm using both SVN and the upgrader during project development. I don't want to ship a client app with an old version and at times certain plugins seem to be updated weekly, or more often. I can't see many people launching a professionally developed large WordPress project (i.e. for a Fortune 500 company) without using Subversion or similar to back up the files, and constantly upgrading plugins during development is too tedious to have to do manually.

> * Yes, I agree this is very narrow sighted of myself here,

We can definitely agree on that! :-) :-) :-)

> But the upgrader really doesn't operate well with not deleting certain files, I've really been planning on rewriting the upgrade/install for
plugins/themes, i've got a trac ticket on it, I just really dont have the time right now,

I'd be happy to collaborate on this and do most of the work. My biggest need would be to make sure I used the right approach; once that's figured out I can definitely do the coding. There are definitely numerous ways to approach it, some better than others.

IOW, I could do the bulk of this work, just need to know what the team would agree is a good solution.

> Unlike most devs, I dont get payed for any wordpress-related work,

I know the feeling, until recently I didn't either.
OTOH, why not?  Is it your choice not to get paid for this work?
Certainly there are people who would pay you to do custom work for WordPress.

> So what i do, and the decisions i make with regards to what i generally contribute, are generally what my narrow-sight see's as the 'best' solution.

I certainly understand, especially since you don't want to stand in the way of other's needs.

> I have nothing against  others contributing code like yours tho, make a trac ticket for it

How do I go about doing that?  Do I need to be given a login, or just create one?  And where do I go for that?

>> (Posting code to wp-hackers is really useless), Maybe someone will massage it into something which can be included in core :)

Thanks in advance.

-Mike Schinkel
http://mikeschinkel.com