[wp-hackers] Re: filter the_exceprt

Lynne Pope lynne.pope at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 12:01:04 GMT 2009

Guess I might be shouted down here but I would hate to see the functionality
of Excerpt Reloaded being included in the core.

Excerpt Reloaded is good for any site where the site owner is not worried
about optimising their sites for search engines and where they are happy to
have duplicate content. For those sites where mitigating duplicate content
issues is a priority, then having a unique excerpt is important and the only
way to have unique content is if you write it.  If you write an excerpt you
don't get that annoying [...] problem and writing a custom "Read More" is
easy.

For example, if you use your own excerpts, then this will do the trick...

<?php the_excerpt(); ?>
<?php the_title() ?> ]</a></span>

What I would like to see is an option in the WP settings for a default "Read
More" so that excerpts in the search results, for example, can be displayed
with whatever wording a user chooses. This would also benefit people who are
using WP in different languages.

However, even so, I use different wording on my front page to the wording
used in search results so still prefer to be able to add my own. My WP
clients have all preferred this too and I have yet to have a client who has
wanted to use the plugin.

Lynne