[wp-hackers] Posterous (post-by-e-mail with photo attachments)

Gaarai gaarai at gaarai.com
Mon Jan 12 12:55:11 GMT 2009

A number of months ago, I started to build a replacement for the
built-in blog-by-email functionality. It has the ability to turn a
complete HTML email into a post, complete with images. I got busy with
other projects and never got back around to putting the polish on it.

It doesn't do video and audio, but I do think adding audio support
wouldn't be too difficult.

Video however is a different story as 1) most email accounts that people
would use wouldn't allow for very large attachments and 2) turning that
video into a format that could easily be displayed on a variety of
platforms and browsers successfully would more or less require some type
of trans coder or Flash wrapper. Installing such a trans coder is
something that most people are not capable of doing even if their host
would give them the ability to install such software and use the amount
of resources required. A Flash wrapper could work, but would limit the
supported video formats and I have no idea on how to create such a Flash
app.

If you're interested in seeing what I have, drop me a line and I can
send you a zip file. Maybe you can help give me suggestions to make it
robust.

Chris Jean
http://gaarai.com/
http://wp-roadmap.com/