[wp-hackers] Help with the API on WordPress.org?

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Mon Jan 5 15:49:57 GMT 2009

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 9:41 AM, Mike Schinkel <mikeschinkel at gmail.com> wrote:
> P.S. Also, if this is the "preferred" MIME type for serialized PHP would you
> agree that web services returning it such as at
> http://api.wordpress.com should be using it?

I'm of the general opinion that it doesn't make any sort of difference
either way. I mean, yes, you can be pedantic about it and add special
code to the thing to make it output a different mime type in the
header, but does it have any real-world impact? No, not at all.

MIME Types are fine and I like the idealized world that sits behind
them, where bits of data are typed and applications use those types
and everything sits happily in it's own little fairy village where
things are what they are and other things can then handle them
correctly. And we'll all have lollipops and candy for breakfast, and
pancakes will be free on Tuesdays.

But I think that on the whole, strict type rigidness causes more
problems than it solves. It makes absolutely no difference what the
mime type returned is unless the client looks at it and acts
differently based on it.

-Otto