[wp-hackers] Re: Idea: Rename the Excerpt to something accurate

Eric Marden wp at xentek.net
Fri Feb 27 16:34:15 GMT 2009

> Better to only have content in the Excerpt if the user puts it
> there. That way they know they need to update it.

Except the auto-excerpt is required if you turn on summaries only for
feeds, etc and don't provide one. I tend to just use the more tag, and
write a good leading paragraph so that the excerpt is geared towards
drawing people into the full post.

> The problem with auto filling the excerpt is that if the user then
> changes something in the post, the excerpt will maintain the old
> content, so if the theme uses the_excerpt, it won't have the updated
> information.

This is unfortunate. Have you confirmed its a bug? I don't know if
I've noticed this, but again, I'm controlling my excerpt with the more
tag.

- Eric Marden