[wp-hackers] Re: Idea: Rename the Excerpt to something accurate

Jane Wells jane at automattic.com
Fri Feb 27 13:36:53 GMT 2009

  Re: 3. Idea: Rename the Excerpt to something accurate (Demetris)

I think Demetris brings up a good point, and have thought about that
myself before, how the auto-excerpt and a manual summary being called
the same thing can be confusing. On the other hand, I also agree with
the points of the others who've already responded about people being
used to the label Excerpt and it not being a huge deal.

Of all the things that are still clunky or need some love and finesse in
upcoming versions, I think this is probably a lowish priority, but
something that I think might be a cool solution would be if once the
post was Saved/Published, the Excerpt box was populated with the
auto-excerpt text. The user wouldhave the option of overwriting it with
a manual summary or whatever. We could then include a UI element to
allow them to default it back to auto-excerpt, and show an indication of
whether the text in the box was the auto-excerpt or hand-crafted. I make
this suggestion without having taken my usual first step of asking Ryan
or Andrew 'is this possible' so if I'm suggesting something that would
be technically problematic, I apologize in advance. It would be a way to
  make it very clear to users what the Excerpt is/does/can do without
getting into the issue of users wondering the difference between Excerpt
and Summary (if we were to rename one).

Thoughts?

jane

--