[wp-hackers] Improving the mailing list. (Was Auto Update Plugins)

Jacob Santos wordpress at santosj.name
Sun Feb 22 21:16:12 GMT 2009

Yes, I have been writing satire lately. Perhaps, it is because the
discussions have ventured off into worthless topics. I'm just going with
the flow. I like to have fun. Also, you are factually incorrect. I did
give technical details, I apologize if you didn't read past the first
sentence. So you're probably not going to read this whole reply either,
so I put this up here to let you know that.

You have an long discussion about where to put data based on that every
file in the directory is deleted when it is upgraded. WordPress does not
put many restrictions based on plugins, nor does it have many standards.
Based on this assumption, having a discussion about where to put
something that you can put anywhere, except where limited by permissions
is worthless. You have people complaining about plugin directory being
deleted and you have people complaining about plugins being deleted when
it is uninstalled (yeah! That is the whole point, genius! The plugin
doesn't want it, so everything must go, including the data you created,
everything!)

Take this other thread, with all due respect to Peter Westwood (because
I really do respect him, he is my favorite core committer), but it has
been a slap in the face every time I read "Code is Poetry" when
associated with WordPress.

Technical Details:

1. WordPress used to have issues with its own coding standards, it
wasn't until 2.5 and 2.6 where a collective effort was unleashed to
clean it up.
2. WordPress given nature with different patches and developers, it is
understandable that there would be an instance where a while loop was
used when a for loop should have been.
3. Inconsistency in API function names (now of course PHP has this
problem, it is funny, because it is the same reason WordPress has this
problem).
4. The code doesn't rhyme (yeah, not all poetry rhymes, sure, "the art
of rhythmical composition, written or spoken, for exciting pleasure by
beautiful, imaginative, or elevated thoughts." [1] )
5. Doing a google search for "Code is Poetry" turns up very poor results
for anything, now I remember Matt talking about a site or post he read
that turned him to the motto, but it no longer exists where Google can
find it (most likely on a later page). A search on Matt's site, only
turns up results from people in the comments. Therefore, I mean there
are no direct definitions or explanation of what the motto means to
WordPress.
6. Poetry is generally abstract, and programmers create solutions which
are concrete.
7. Poetry isn't a coding standard, actual guidelines are, which are
concrete directions and instructions on how code should be written.
Poetry is not absolute enough to be part of that standard.

So the point of "Code is Poetry" is that code should be beautiful, which
is what I stated in my reply. I can infer that from different sources
I've read about how code should be written, so that other programmers
can look at it and use it. "Code should be self-documenting," "Code
shouldn't 'Smell'," coding standards, coding metrics, C.R.A.P, go
towards this notion of "Poetry" but serves nothing to define it. I mean,
this is what it means to me from what I've read about well written code.
Imagine what it means to you or some novice who has no idea what OOP
means, what the Blob anti-pattern is, principles of coding standards,
and writing code that is needs minimal documentation, that is
understandable with minimal knowledge.

The problem is that as a developer, I create solutions for problems.
Poetry is beautiful as an expression and time waster, but does not pave
any way towards creating solutions. As a guideline, WordPress has been a
long way coming to reaching the goal of "Code is Poetry," so if they
were coming out now for the motto, then yeah, I would be all for it, but
they've been on it since day one, when WordPress was no where near where
it needed to be for "Code is Poetry."

Everyone thinks their code doesn't "smell" [2] so it is understandable
that developers of WordPress would lock on to the motto, because hey,
they wrote it and can understand it. Back to the concept of developing
solutions, poetry is nice, when you have time and don't have to worry
about backwards compatibility, and users, and other developers.

So maybe it is bikeshedding over the what the motto should be called,
however, my contention is that it is without definition, so it is up for
interpretation. So what Peter thinks is Poetry, might be different from
what Ryan thinks is Poetry, and might be different from what Matt thinks
is Poetry. However, they generally all talk together, so they may have a
better idea of what Matt thinks is Poetry, but no one else contributing
is going to.

WTF? I don't know, I don't care. If it means code should be beautiful,
based on the above guidelines, then say so. However, even that is still
without definition. I'm asking for some concrete not something abstract
like poetry.

Jacob Santos

[1] http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/poetry #1.
[2] I can neither confirm nor deny that my code does or does not smell
with any affirmative or denial.